HOW TO MAKE FLUFFY LOW CARB HAMBURGER BUNS
I don’t think there’s a person on this planet who doesn’t like a good burger. Whether it’s a veggie burger, turkey burger, or a good old traditional beef burger, everybody loves them. The problem we have is not with the burger it’s the bun. but not anymore.
After much trial and error I have finally found a bun recipe that tastes good, is low carb and is fluffy not flat. This recipe is so good and easy. One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it rises in 20 MINUTES! That’s insane. Most bun recipes take hours to rise but this one doesn’t.
Another thing I like about this recipe is I can use my standing mixer to knead the dough and it only take 6 minutes total to knead it. You can knead the dough by hand if you choose to but the standing mixer is ideal
Also I like the fact that I can use any type of gluten free flour combination that I want to. The original recipe calls for almond and garbanzo flour but garbanzo flour isn’t really that low in carbs so if I wanted to I could use all almond flour or some other low carb flour to bring my carb count even lower.
One bad thing about this recipe is it uses vital wheat gluten therefore it is not gluten free. This recipe has to have gluten otherwise it will not rise. Gluten is the “glue” that holds the dough together so it can become stretchy as the yeast is activated.
What Do I Need To Make Fluffy Low Carb Hamburger Buns?
When making these buns all you need is
- gluten free flour
- warm water (make sure it is warm to the touch)
- large egg at ROOM TEMPERATURE
- vital wheat gluten
- olive oil or oil of choice
- INSTANT yeast
- honey (to activate yeast it does not effect carb count)
Something you will notice when you read the recipe is that the recipe calls for 2 TABLESPOONS of instant yeast. This might seem like a lot but the yeast fulfills two jobs. One is of course helping the buns to rise the other is for taste and texture.
Two of the reasons white and wheat bread are such favorites are because of the fluffy texture and that grainy/nutty flavor. That “flavor” is actually yeast, so by adding a little more yeast to the low carb flours in this recipe it helps them have flavor and texture similar to wheat flour.
There are a couple of things that you need to be very aware of when you are making this recipe. The most important one being DOUGH TEMPERATURE! Dough temperature is key for your bread to rise properly. If the dough is too hot it will kill the yeast and if it’s too cold the yeast will not activate so make sure that all of your ingredients are at room temperature, especially your egg and water.
The other thing you want to watch out for is the type of yeast you get. There are different kinds of yeast out there and they all react differently. The one you want is INSTANT yeast. Instant yeast does not need to be proofed. You just whisk it in with your dry ingredients and it activates as soon as it comes in contact with the liquid.
How Do I Make Fluffy Low Carb Buns?
Making the buns is actually pretty easy. All you do is whisk all your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl then place all your wet ingredients in a large mixer bowl.
Next add the bowl of dry ingredients to the mixer bowl with the wet ingredients and mix the ingredients together on low.
The next thing you want to do is change your paddle attachment to a dough hook attachment and beat on high for 3 minutes. If you don’t have a dough hook you can use the paddle attachment and it will be fine.
Scrape the bowl down and knead on high 3 more minutes. The dough should be nice and stretchy.
Divide the dough into 8 pieces, roll each piece into a ball and place each ball onto a lined baking sheet. Make sure you space the dough balls apart because they rise a lot. I usually put 4 on one baking sheet and 4 on another baking sheet.
Cover the baking sheets and place then in a warm, draft free area and let them rise for 20 minutes
After they are done rising uncover them and bake them at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Once they are done baking let them rest on the baking sheets for 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
How Many Carbs Do Fluffy Low Carb Hamburger Buns Have?
If you use the recipe as it is written each bun will have about 9 grams of carbs, but as I mentioned before you can use any gluten free flour you want so you can reduce the carb count. Any substitutions may effect the texture of the buns slightly.
Fluffy Low Carb Hamburger Buns
- 1 cup almond flour or gluten free flour of your choice
- 1 cup garbanzo flour or gluten free flour of your choice
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBS INSTANT yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 large room temperature egg
- 3 TBS olive oil or oil of your choice
- 3 TBS honey
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In medium mixing bowl whisk together almond flour, garbanzo flour, vital wheat gluten, salt and yeast
- In large mixer bowl combine warm water, room temperature egg, oil and honey
- Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl with wet ingredients and beat on low 15 seconds to combine all ingredients
- Change your paddle attachment to a dough hook and knead on high for 3 minutes
- Scrape down the bowl and knead on high 3 more minutes or until the dough is very stretchy
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball
- Place each ball onto prepared baking sheets. Make sure they are spaced apart.
- Cover the baking sheets with sprayed plastic wrap and place in a warm draft free area. Let rise for 20 minutes
- Uncover the buns and bake at 400 for 10 minutes
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely