LOW CARB SUGAR FREE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
Anyone want cookies for breakfast? I know cookies for breakfast sounds horrible but these cookies are so healthy they can be breakfast!
Can You Make These Cookies Without Gluten
Yes. The recipe suggests vital wheat gluten but not required. Almond flour can be substituted for vital wheat gluten. However, if substituted you will need one teaspoon of xanthan gum.
Also keep in mind in mind when omitting gluten you lose elasticity in the dough. Therefore the texture of the coookie will change slightly. The texture may become more dense and less fluffy but it will still taste good.
How Many Carbs In This Recipe
One of these cookies contains about five grams of carbs. However, the carb count can reduce depending on the flour and sweeteners used.
Low Carb Sugar Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten see notes for gluten free version
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds, or almond meal
- 2 TBS coconut flour, or gluten free flour of choice
- 2 TBS tapioca starch, or gluten free flour of choice
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup granulated stevia, or sweetener of choice
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a medium mixing bowl combine almond flour, gluten, flax seeds, coconut flour,tapioca starch,and baking powder. Whisk together until fully combined
- In a large mixer bowl combine shortening, stevia and maple syrup. Beat on low for 30 seconds or until creamy
- Add peanut butter, vanilla and eggs. Beat on low until fully combined and creamy
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat on medium low for 30 seconds or until no dry ingredients are left in the bowl
- Scoop dough out 1TBS at a time onto the prepared baking sheet. Use a fork and flatten the tops of the cookies into a criss cross shape. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let rest on baking sheet 3 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool