The Easiest Keto Bagels
The Easiest Keto Bagels
This recipe is designed to teach everyone how to make the easiest keto bagels.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 5 bagels
- 112 grams coconut flour (1 cup)
- 26 grams finely ground golden flax or chia seed meal (1/4 cup) can also substitute 2 TBS of coconut flour instead
- 15 grams baking powder (1 TBS)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 grams gelatin powder or agar agar powder (1/2 tsp) for texture
- 9 grams instant dry yeast (1 TBS) for flavor
- optional dry spices
- 2 TBS granulated sweetenr of choice for sweet bagel only
- 4 large room temperature eggs or flax/chia eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled can use margarine or a dairy free butter substitute if desired
- 60 grams room temperature plain yogurt or sour cream (1/4 cup) can also use dairy free yogurt or sour cream substitute
- 61 ml room temperature milk of choice (1/4 cup) my favorite keto milk is coconut milk
- optional berries or add-ins of choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray 5 doughnut cavities or line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl until there are no lumps.
- Stir in the eggs, melted butter, yogurt and milk until all the dry ingredients are moist and a smooth dough has formed. If using add-ins fold in the add-ins until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and press the dough to the center of the bowl. Allow the dough to sit about 5 minutes to absorb any excess moisture. Check dough to make sure the proper texture (see video)
- Line a worksurface with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 5 equal portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball. Use thumb or finger and press it all the way through each dough ball. Wiggle finger/thumb around the stretch the hole.
- Use palm of hand and slightly flatten the tops of the dough balls. Place the shaped dough balls into doughnut molds or onto the lined baking sheet. Make sure sough stays smooth at all times.
- For a darker top brush the tops of each bagel with egg wash or melted butter. If desired sprinkle the topping of choice over the tops of the bagels. Place into preheated oven. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the molds/baking sheet about 20 minutes or until firm. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before slicing. Once cooled cut in half horizontally to create two bagel halves.
- Serve immediately plain or with the topping of choice. Store leftover in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days
The average serving is half of a bagel. Nutritional information is based on half of a plain bagel. Values will change if using add-ins or toppings.
Serving: 0.5bagel | Calories: 147kcal | Carbohydrates: 0.3g | Protein: 3.9g | Fat: 13.6g