Quick Keto Emanadas
Quick Keto Empanadas
This recipe is designed to teach everyone how to make quick keto empanadas.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 8 empanadas
- 168 grams coconut flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum or psyllium husk powder for flexibility
- optional dry spices or seasonings
- 4 large room temperature eggs can use flax eggs if desired
- 1 cup very soft room temperature butter can use margarine or dairy free butter substitute
- cooked filling of choice I use 2 cups cooked shredded pork mixed with salsa
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees or preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray or lice a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together all the dry ingredients until there are no lumps. Stir in the eggs and butter until fully combined and a crumbly dough is formed.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and press the dough together to form a ball. Massage the dough ball in hands until a smooth soft dough forms. If using flax eggs let the dough sit for 5 minutes to absorb any extra moisture. Divide the dough into 8 portions.
- Line a clean worksurface with parchment paper and lightly flour the paper with coconut flour. Place the dough portions one at a time onto the worksurface and coat lightly with more coconut flour.
- Cover the coated dough portion with another piece of parchment paper then roll or press the portion out to a circle that is about 6 to 7 inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch thick. (I use my tortilla press) Keep the dough portions on the parchment paper after rolling out.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of the filling off to one side of the dough circle. Leave room around the edge. (I top my filling with a little shredded cheese) Grasp the sides of the parchment paper under the dough circle. Fold the sides together until the sides of the dough circle are touching. Press the edges of the dough together.
- Dampen hands and rub fingers across the seam to fully seal the seam. Make sure to keep the dough smooth at all times. If the dough cracks or comes apart, dampen hands, press the dough back together and rub any cracks out.
- Once all the portions are all filled and sealed. Brush both sides of the empanadas with egg wash or olive oil. Place them into your preheated air fryer or onto your prepared baking sheet. Air fry in preheated air fryer at 350 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden.
- If baking in the oven bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees. 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Once cooked open air fryer drawer or remove from the oven, allow to sit 3 to 5 minutes to firm up.
- Use a spatula and transfer the empanadas to the serving plate of choice. Serve warm with salsa, guacamole or the dip of choice.