Quick and Easy Keto Tortillas
Quick High Protein Keto Tortillas
This recipe is designed to teach everyone how to make quick high protein keto tortillas.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 4 8-inch tortillas
- 16 grams egg white protein powder (2 TBS)
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 90 ml room temperature water (6 TBS)
- 180 grams grated parmesan cheese (29 TBS, slightly less than 2 cups)
- 5 grams baking powder (1 tsp)
- 3 grams gelatin powder or agar agar (1 tsp)
- 6 grams xanthan gum (2 tsp) can substitute for more gelatin powder or agar agar
- optional corn extract and/or dry seasonings to taste
- Place the egg white powder, cream of tartar and water into a large mixer bowl. Use a wire whisk ant whisk together until the powder is fully dissolved (about 1 minute) Use the whisk attachment on standing mixer and beat on medium until foamy (about 30 seconds)
- Increase the speed to medium-high and beat on medium high until stiff peaks form (about 10 to 15 minutes) See video to know how to tell if peaks are stiff. Set aside. In a separate mixing bowl combine the grated parmesan cheese, baking powder, gelatin powder and xanthan gum.
- Use a wire whisk and whisk together until there are no large lumps. If using freshly grated parmesan cheese, process in a food processor 30 to 45 minutes or until powdery in texture. Gradually and carefully fold in the beaten egg whites until fully combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and press the dough into a smooth ball. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball. Line a worksurface or tortilla press with parchment paper. Place one dough portion at a time onto the worksurface.
- Place another piece of parchment paper over the dough portion. Roll or press the dough portion out to an 8-inch circle. Repeat the rolling process until all the portions are rolled out. Preheat an 8-inch skillet over medium-low heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until hot.
- Keep dough portions attached to the parchment paper. Use the paper to transfer the dough portions one at a time to the preheated DRY skillet. Turn the dough side down into the preheated skillet. Carefully remove the paper from the dough (see the video for tips on how to make it easier to remove the dough)
- Cook the tortilla 1 to 2 minutes or until golden on the underside and releases easily from the pan. Turn and cook another 1 minute or until golden and releases easily from the pan. Transfer the tortilla to a plate or wire rack. Repeat the process until all the tortillas are cooked.
- Use in any recipe that requires tortillas. See video on how to shape these into taco shells.
Serving: 18-inch tortilla | Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 2.7g | Protein: 18.4g | Fat: 9.7g