How To Make Gluten Free Keto Bagels
Gluten Free Keto Bagels
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup psyllium husk powder
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 6 cup doughnut pan. If you do not have a doughnut pan you can make foil holders to hold the batter in place, (see post for details)
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together almond flour, psyllium husk powder, flax seeds, baking powder and salt until fully combined and no lumps are in the flour
- Add sour cream or yogurt and whisk until all the dry ingredients are wet. Add eggs and apple cider vinegar. Whisk until everything is fully combined
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and push all the dough into the center of the bowl. Let the dough sit for 10 minutes so the psyllium husk and flax seeds can absorb the moisture and thicken the batter, The batter will be sticky
- After the dough has set give it a gentle stir to make sure the moisture is absorbed. The dough will still be sticky but it will be slightly thicker than what it was before it set and should be able to be scooped and molded.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the doughnut cavities or the foil holders. Be careful not to overflow. Use a small spatula or butter knife and even out the tops of the bagels. Bake 15-20 minutes or until puffy and a tester comes out clean.
- Once baked let the bagels cool in the pan for 20 minutes to let the ingredients fully set. Once set use a small spatula or a butter knife and loosen the sides of the bagels
- Gently lift the bagels out and set them on a serving platter until completely cooled. Warm in microwave for 15 seconds if desired then top with favorite toppings
How To Make Foil Holders
If you do not have a doughnut pan you can still have tasty fluffy bagels by making a foil holder to help the dough keep its shape as it bakes.
To make the holders cut 8 strips of foil into 8 x 16 inch long strips. Fold each strip in half long ways to make each strip 8 x 8 inches. Mold the strips around the bottom of a bowl or mug that is about 4 inches in diameter.
Once the foil holders are made lightly spray each one to make sure the dough does not stick to the holders.
Scoop 5-6 generous spoonfuls of dough into the center of each holder. Use a small spatula or a butter knife and shape the dough into a ball and gently even out the top. Use your index finger or thumb and press through the center of the dough ball to create a small hole. Wiggle finger around the stretch the hole. The foil holder should be visible through the center of the bagel. Gently cradle the holder around the dough to create a circle shape.
Place the holders on a baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes or until fluffy.
Once the bagels have baked let them sit in the holders for 20 minutes to make sure the ingredients have fully set.
After the bagels have set slowly pull the foil down off of the sides of the bagels and gently pull up to remove the bagels fro the foil. Place the bagels on a serving platter and let them cool completely